A user’s guide to get you (and your students) up and running on sciencemusicvideos.com
Follow the link above for some great advice on getting students ready to write great responses to this year’s FRQs
These are essential tools for planning your AP Biology course
- scope and sequence spreadsheet,
- Condensed 2019 College Board Course outline,
- Weekly Agendas (my weekly lesson plans)
Look immediately below for ongoing planning material.
Note: Most of what’s below still refers to sciencemusicvideos.com. That’s our old name, and that website is still up and running as we make the transition to Learn-Biology.com. We’ll get there…
a. Link to the weekly planning email archive.
Every week, I send out a detailed email (and often a video) explaining how to use sciencemusicvideos.com or learn-biology.com to teach biology content. If you ever want to look at a past issue, this is the place to go. It also includes ideas about labs, other activities, direct instruction, biology pedagogy, etc.
b. Weekly Planning Email Agendas and Notes
Every week, I hold an open meeting where I talk about …well, everything listed immediately above in my newsletter. Here are the meeting agendas and notes.
- August 13, 2020 (setting the stage, motivating your students, teaching your systems, key themes, natural selection)
- August 20, 2020 (properties of water, standard error, functional groups)
- August 27, 2020 (some techniques for teaching with Zoom, carbon and functional groups, monomers and polymers, carbohydrates, lipids)
- September 3, 2020 (proteins and nucleic acids)
- September 10, 2020 (three virtual labs about cells — surface area and volume, diffusion and selective permeability, osmosis with thistle tubes)
- September 17, 2020 (cell structure and function)
- September 24, 2020 (cell membranes, osmosis)
- October 1, 2020 (energy and enzymes)
- October 8, 2020 (cellular respiration)
- October 15, 2020 (cellular respiration FRQs; CRISPR resources)
- October 29, 2020 (photosynthesis)
- November 5, 2020 (Cell Division, Cell Communication)
- November 12, 2020 (Cell Cycle Regulation; Feedback)
- November 19, 2020 (DNA structure and Replication)
5. Getting Your School to Pay for a Subscription
One of my long term goals is for schools, districts, PTAs, and other community organization to be paying for your teacher license to sciencemusicvideos.com. Here’s some resources to help move us toward that goal.
- Information for Administrators and Department Chairs
- Get someone else to pay! Here’s a plan.
Handouts galore. Some of these predated the interactive curriculum that I’ve created here on Learn-Biology.com, but they’re still useful in their own right. If you’re using Learn-Biology.com, some might, at this point, be redundant.